Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Weekend report

15 May 012
It's been a couple of days since I have wrote. Been kind of busy. Wednesday we fed over 257 people for lunch and about 192 for the remainder of the week. Noni and I had a good time kayaking at Brohm Lake. I was surprised at how long it took to get loaded to go to the provincial park. I borrowed the camp truck which made things easier – but it still took along time to leave. Loading the kayaks, life jackets, paddles – making our picnic lunch – making sure I have extra batteries for the camera, finding Dalhouise leash and taking the day pack from my car to the truck. Exhausted even before I begin. Finally we are off to Brohm Lake for the first time. All I know it is 10 -15 minutes drive from the intersection of Upper Squamish Valley Road and Highway 99. I am looking for a large sign like that of the entrance to Alice Lake – almost miss it because it is only a little wooden sign. I drive in and still a little confused. Parking lot is right there – I see the lake down the embankment – there are two trails – which one am I too take. Well when all else fails read the map that is posted . There is a short but steep hill to walk down to the lake. But worth it.. Beauty is the word, or peaceful, or tranquility could be used to describe the scene. The temperature was very comfortable, sun was shinning – just a good relaxing time spent on the water. So this was Saturday.
Sunday – First time in a couple of weeks we get to attend the morning Sunday school and church. It is good to meet with like minded believers and our friends. Since it was Mother's day we went to have a short visit with Mom. We brought her some flowers – a card and bought her a cake form Save on More Foods. Afterwards Noni and I went back to the cabin where I had a nap on the swing out side. My body is tired – it was a hard week last week, no question about that. Around 4:30 I wake up and go inside to find Noni napping on the bed – I guess we are very tired because she does not nap often. Dalhouise is napping on the steps leading into the cabin. I grab a salad or two that is left over and head to Alice Lake to join up with friends from church that are gathering for a picnic. Home just before 8 pm in time to watch the season ending of Survivor.
Monday – the long anticipated day. When Mom first planned on moving to BC I told her I would take her over to Gibson's to eat at the famous restaurant – Molly's Reach – from the TV show the Beach Combers. Well it took a little while but we finally did it. Sunny and hot, a perfect day for a day trip.
Waking up 6:15 and leaving the camp very early – stopping off to buy three French Vanilla Coffees and picking up Mom at 7:15ish. We were at the ferry by 8:30 waiting to catch the 9:20 ferry. God is good as we parked right next to the elevator. This enabled Mom to get out of the car and sit up on the passenger deck. I had actually prayed this would happen .... Then even more blessing – not really prayed for this time but I was hoping – on the return we were the first car in the lane so this enabled Mom to stay in the car and get a perfect view of the beautiful scenery of the mountains and islands returning to Horseshoe Bay. Mom was so exhausted – there would be know way she would attempt to go to the passenger deck on the way home. So God made it possible for us to have the best seat on the car deck to see his creation. When we first arrived at Langdale the ferry terminal – I stopped in to visit a camp whom I have become friends with the director. I actually applied to work there before I was hired at Camp Summit. I did not plan to stay long, wanted to show Noni the kitchen and say hi to my friend. I stayed longer than planned leaving Mom and Dalhouise in the car. I was scolded for this. Mom says it was a very long time and even a stranger had to move my car to get by it and park her in the shade. After this we drove to Molly's Reach. The food was OK – what I expected after reading the reviews on the internet. The view was very nice, and it was worth a one time experience. Pictures and more pictures, but it was nothing like the movie.
After this we went to visit my friend Paul – but he was not home. We waited for a while – took a walking tour of the nearby cemetery that I used to call the enchanted forest when I lived there. Then off we went on a driving tour of the area regardless of the 1.48 per liter gas prices. Once again this is probably a once a time experience – or at least not in the near future recurrence. BC is so beautiful – and driving along the coast – smelling the sea salted air – hearing and seeing the white capped waves crashing into the shore and the sun shinning – so awesome.
Such a deal – I stop in at a thrift shop to see if I can buy a push wheel chair for Mom. They do not have one. But what do I see a stair master steppy thing for sale for 5 dollars. I have 5 dollars in my pocket so I buy it. Mom and Noni asks who is this for ........?
Then Mom is saying she wants to eat steak – so I get directions to a restaurant that has steak on the menu. The Waterfront. Noni orders fish and chips and Mom and I order NY sirloin steaks – I want rare but Mom wants boot leather. It was good – Noni said her's were a little greasy. Then off to the ferry terminal again to go home. Arriving at the cabin again around 8:30pm
Tuesday - last day off and it is still hot and sunny. Noni and I go for a bike ride. Oh the scenery and beauty around Camp Summit. No words can really describe it – you must experience it your self.

No comments:

Post a Comment