Friday, December 14, 2012

Whistler Peak 2 Peak

               Did you watch the movie Frozen?
Noni and and I take a road trip to Whistler on December 12 and decided to go up the record-breaking PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola  that is an engineering marvel that links Blackcomb and Whistler Mountains together at their peaks. Boasting the longest unsupported lift span in the world (3.024 kilometres or 1.88 miles), it is also the highest lift of its kind with an elevation of 436 metres  /1,427 feet.
  The sun was shining – skies clear and so the views were out of this world. Time is a factor – we started the day late. Waiting in line to board the gondola I hear that there is only a couple of hours before closing – and it takes 1/2 hour to reach the top, and once we reached the top we would see amazing views.  The information I received was true – the view was breath taking 
 – the air was crisp but too cold even though temperatures were -6 c at the top. This was the top of peak one – we still had the opportunity to use another gondola to cross to another mountain peak. My camera was clicking away – then it started beeping at me – I have filled a 16g memory card. Well not all today – but never the less – my camera's memory card can not take any more pictures. I had to stop and delete older pictures to make room for all of today's Peak 2 Peak experience.


We reach the second Peak – the restaurant has just closed. There are skiers still around but not as many that were on the other side – and even less by the time we wander back to the gondola to head back down. We board a gondola all to ourselves, but first I ask the attendant if we could board and he said he yes, but he said we could not return here today – no more incoming guest today. So we stepped aboard our empty gondola and began our journey back -
We were about half way across when we STOPPED moving. Right away our minds thought back to the movie Frozen - I am not sure how long we were actually motionless – it seemed a lot longer than it actually was – but it is an experience I don't want to repeat. Interesting to see the fear in Noni's eyes – but I enjoyed observing how she handled it. Turning to the Lord in prayer and song.

I give her comforting words – look out the window – like the movie I am thinking of whether I could jump to the ground having the spruces beak my fall.
  I am not prepared to spend the night on a gondola – even now my toes are getting cold and my fingers are a little numb. Did they shut down the gondola? – do they know we are here? How will they rescue us even if they know we are here? ( Like I said we are about the half way point). So many thoughts rushing my brain... Even all during this I was calm – trusting God – knowing all would be OK and when motion was detected – yes we are moving again. Back on the first Peak the crowds are smaller and all the restaurants are closed here also – but that is fine with me – we will eat when we get to the base of the mountain back in the village. Once again we step into a empty gondola which gives me ample opportunities to take pictures. 








1 comment:

  1. Marty - next time invite us - we will join you.
    It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete